April is here, which means we are only weeks away from the 10th Annual BTU Showcase, a free event for anyone—businesses, non-profits, community groups, government agencies—looking to connect with TU faculty, researchers, and administrators to expand existing collaborative projects or to identify new opportunities. As noted in previous blog posts, I am featuring some of the great projects and centers that will be represented at this year’s event, with each post focusing on one of the five BTU impact areas:
- High-Quality and equitable education
- Lifelong health and well-being
- Strong neighborhoods and sustainable communities
- Thriving and competitive economy
- Vibrant arts and cultural community
Thriving and Competitive Economy
Towson University is a state resource for applied research, technical services, continuing education, and entrepreneurship. TU faculty and staff work collaboratively with partners in government and business to grow Maryland’s economy and improve the quality of life for its citizens.
- Through the Applied Mathematics Laboratory, research teams of TU faculty and students use mathematics and statistics to solve real-world problems for local businesses and government organizations.
- TU students help companies determine how to best increase their cybersecurity defense methods through cutting edge research.
- The Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship develops, nurtures, and assists in commercializing talent enabling innovators to grow impactful global initiatives, strengthening economic development and social progress in metro Baltimore.
- The TU Career Center develops partnerships with external organizations and businesses to connect students to experiential education and employment opportunities.
- The TU Alumni Association develops supportive partnerships between TU and its alumni through meaningful opportunities to increase engagement, advancement, awareness, pride, and philanthropic commitment.
- In partnership with the Maryland Department of Commerce, TU’s Regional Economic Studies Institute developed the Maryland Defense Network, a database of defense reliance and supply chain networks of Maryland defense contractors, presented in the form of an interactive mapping tool.
- Students, the TU community, and business partners come together bi-annually for a case competition, helping to develop business solutions for real-world, current problems, faced by local companies.
- The TU Continuing & Professional Studies develops customized workforce training programs for clients within government and corporate sector, designed to address critical skill gaps.
- The Division of Innovation and Applied Research applied research team, made up of over 30 expert researchers and technical staff, offers unique approaches to problem-solving and customized solutions.
To learn more about these and other potential partnership opportunities at Towson University, be sure to join me on Monday, April 24 at the 10th Annual BTU Showcase. For more information or to register, visit http://www.towson.edu/campus/business/events/showcase/.