There is no denying that the future of human resources is changing. According to the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), changes like digital training, merging departments, and newer generations taking over are all expected to happen by 2030. Obtaining the skillset needed to prepare for these changes is vital. Earning your Human Resources certification will provide you with industry-relevant information that will keep you one step ahead of your peers.
What HR certifications are available?
A human resources certification is an acknowledgement of your professional skills, knowledge, and experience. There are two main certifying organizations in the U.S.: Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI) and Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM). Each certification has different education and work experience requirements.
The Human Resources Certification Prep Course from Towson University Continuing and Professional Studies will prepare you to sit for the following HR certification exams:
- Professional in Human Resources: The PHR® certification is an entry-level HR certification that shows you understand operational and technical HR management tactics.
Eligibility: You must have two years of experience with a bachelor’s degree and one year of experience with a master’s degree to sit for this exam.
- Senior Professional in Human Resources: The SPHR® is for more senior HR professionals who are responsible for planning, rather than implementing HR policy.
Eligibility: You must have at least four years of experience in a professional HR position and a master’s degree or higher; have at five+ years of experience in a professional HR position and a bachelor’s degree; or have at least seven years of experience in a professional HR position.
- SHRM Certified Professional: The SHRM-CP® certification is an entry-level HR certification that shows you know how to perform general HR and HR-related duties.
Eligibility: You do not need a degree or previous HR experience to apply. You must have basic working knowledge of HR practices and principles or a degree.
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional: The SHRM-SCP® certification is for senior HR leaders who develop HR policies and procedures and oversees HR operations.
Eligibility: You must have at least three years of HR experience and are working in, or transitioning to a strategic role.
What are the benefits of earning a certification?
Earning a human resources certification can increase job security, lead to higher pay, and open many career opportunities and/or advancements. Certifications increase your HR knowledge and skills, while showing hiring managers you’re committed to the HR field.
- An advantage over other job applicants
- Higher pay opportunities
- Better qualifications
- Loyalty to the HR profession
How can I prepare for HR certifications?
You can prepare by enrolling in the Human Resources Certification Prep Course from Towson University. Our course is offered either as a live, instructor-led course via Zoom or as a self-paced option to fit your schedule’s needs. Each course is instructed by an industry expert.
Tuition includes all instructional materials including access to all exam prep digital textbooks and a hard copy set of books.
Our instructor assists students through 1:1 coaching. Additionally, our team is here to guide you from the enrollment process, to answer questions during the course, and is available after course completion in preparation for the certification exam.